Pages

We are Kenny and Ginny. We call Northeast Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula home during the summer months. Together, we enjoy recreational boating on the Oconto River and the Bay of Green Bay and camping in the cooler northern states. When the boating season is over, we become snowbirds and head south for the winter with our luxury DRV Moble Suites 5th-wheel trailer that we call Château de Sallé.

I bought the Château de Sallé in July 2018 with my late wife Nancy after our Monaco Windsor motorhome, OWFISH, was totaled in an accident.

Comments to our post are welcome, but to prevent someone from using our journals to post unwanted SPAM, all comments must be approved before posting.

If you came to our online journal from a link, you can click on the Home link on the left side below the heading photo to see our complete journal.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead!

Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead!

Who said those famous words? How about Admiral Farragut aboard the USS Hartford during the Battle of Mobile Bay in August 1864.

Yesterday Barb and I decided to get away from the "house" and go for a ride. I looked at the map and thought about taking US 90 west along the Gulf Coast to Louisiana. We've been as far as Bay of Saint Louis, MS this winter but not any further. Then I looks at the map and thought there's one place I'd like to explore, going east on US 90. That was Dauphin Island in Alabama. I don't know what's there and besides it would be a nice drive along the coast.

When we first left out turning on US 90 about a mile from where we are staying, you couldn't see anything from the fog that had rolled in. Well I though this wasn't going to be much of a sightseeing ride but it got us away for awhile and the best thing, Barb and I was spending some alone time together.

By the time we were 10 miles away, the fog had lifted and it was a nice sunny day. I knew as soon as we crossed the Mississippi-Alabama line, not just because the sign that read "Welcome To Alabama", but because US 90 turned from a nice 4-land highway to 2 lanes. "Yep! we're in Alabama" I said.

I've always liked driving the back roads of Alabama because it was like stepping back a hundred years in time. We followed US 90 to the town of Grand Bay, AL where we turned east onto Alabama Highway 188 and then south on Alabama Highway 193. That took us to the 3-mile bridge going over Mobile Bay to Dauphin Island.

Dauphin Island was first known by the French as Massacre Island until they changed it name in 1707 to Dauphin in honor of heir of the French throne: "Dauphin." The island was also the first capital of the Louisiana Territory.

On Dauphin Island, one can catch the ferry across the entrance of Mobile Bay to a long peninsula on the other side of the bay going to Gulf Shores, AL. We followed the a 4-lane boulevard going past the ferry loading docks. Coming around a bend in the road was the Civil War military post of Fort Gaines. I remember reading somewhere about it but it had totally slipped my mind that it was located there. The last old military fort that Barb and I had visited was Fort Frederick on the Island of Grenada. We had nothing else to do so we toured the old Civil War fort.



After we left the fort, we found a little place to get dinner before heading back "home." While there Barb told me that she wanted to live somewhere near the water. I asked her, "where near the water?" "Somewhere it doesn't snow", she said. Pointing out the window of the cafe where we were I ask, "like this?" Then she said, "I'd even go live in Hawai'i with you." We've talked about Hawai'i before. You see, I lived in the Hawaiian Island for 9 years, 2 years on the Island of Oahu, where Honolulu is, and 7 years on the Island of Hawai'i, the Big Island. After I left Hawai'i in 1986, I've always said, "I'd never go back", knowing that if I ever did, I'd never want to leave again. Well....... Boat for sale or will trade for land on the Big Island of Hawai'i.

No comments:

Web Site Copyright © 2008-2022 The OWFISH Project - All Rights Reserved.
Web Design by Cap'n Kenny